Continued from Part 3
With the minimal amount of changes needed to the fit of the gown, we decided it was safe to skip over a second muslin and go right to the real fabric. I ordered the silk and lace that Amanda chose (the top left!) and made the necessary adjustments to the pattern. Then I pinned, placed, traced, cut, and began to sew.
I made the bodice and skirt of the gown first. This gown used nearly eight yards of silk, five yards of alencon lace, various interlining and boning. Additionally, it was trimmed with the heirloom lace, hand dyed silk ribbon and heirloom pearl jewelry.
Because the straps were to be made of the heirloom lace, and would be supporting much of the dress' weight, I decided that the straps themselves would need a backing to support the heirloom lace. I chose a peach silk organza for it's strength and sheerness. I wanted the lace to stand out against Amanda's skin and look like it was supporting the dress on its own.
At this point the mock-up still existed and I was using it on the form to measure and compare it to the real gown.
Next time, Amanda sees the REAL dress in person for the first time, I hope she likes it! I hope it fits!
I'm Denise Meyer, apparel designer in State College, PA, saving the world one clothing problem at a time!