Continued from Part 2
I created a pattern for the top illusion portion of the bodice, and cut it from what had been the sleeves. I shortened the back torso at the waist, put in a new zipper, stitched in the darts, and got the belt together:
Once it was together, I called Lea back for a fitting. We also picked out exactly which shades of rhinestones would look great with the dress... (we chose Diamond and Chrysolite). I wanted to make sure everything was in the right place and fit correctly before I put any rhinestones on. This was a fun fitting because I could tell that Lea and her family could really see that this dress would be suitable for prom :) I did need to make a few tweaks to the back to get everything juuuust right, but it was mostly there.
I loved how this dress is coming together, and I love sharing the process with everyone! Stay with me, next time, I get a lotta bit sparkly!
So, in February, high school junior, Lea, contacted me with an idea for a project. She wanted to use her great -grandmother's gown and turn it into her prom dress with some big updates. (Read about it HERE) Anyway, it was a big undertaking to transform a classic 1970's style gown worn by a woman in her eighties, into one a teenager would want to rock at prom, today.
With some BIG vision, Lea and I came up with a plan:
...and a sketch:
Here's what needed to happen:
I decided the best method to really give Lea a picture of what the dress would look like was to, well, just start cutting. There are some projects that the only way to start is to start!
Once all of the extra fabric was gone, I did a bit of tweaking for fit, shaping with darts around the bust to eliminate a lot of the bulk in the bodice.
Then Lea went home. And I got to work.
I'm Denise Meyer, apparel designer in State College, PA, saving the world one clothing problem at a time!